Taylor O'Leary



What are your thoughts on HS?
 I always thought of Righetti as a safe and entertaining place to learn. It can be sometimes stressful, but all schools are like that. It is a place where you get to know your class and be friends with them.

What is the most embarrassing moment you have had in high school?
My most embarrassing moment was my first day in freshman year. I was unused to the whole zero period thing. I went to zero no problem, then when I went to first, I mixed it up with my second period class. I ended up in the advanced art class with a bunch of older students. I didn't realize it until after the teacher called roll. So, all of the students stared at me as I left to go to my correct class.

What is your most memorable moment, either in or out of HS?
My most memorable moment was when I was taking my drivers test at the DMV. I got an extremely hipster looking guy for a test instructor. He was talking to me as we started off and asked me what my grades were like. I proudly told him that I got a 4.5 GPA and he said that high schools going above a 4.0 was stupid and degrading to our society. I really wanted to say "F*ck you", but he said that right at the beginning of the test and I didn't want to piss him off and have him fail me. So, he kept talking about conspiracy theorist stuff and I nodded along and agreed with him to placate him. He just seemed like the type of instructor that would fail you if he didn't like you. Thankfully, I passed the test and got my license.

Can you tell me one of your happiest childhood memories?
My happiest childhood memory was going to Crater Lake in Oregon with my family. I loved the drive up there too. We passed a big cat park in Cave Junction, OH and we stopped by it to check it out, thinking it was nothing special. Turns out that there was many different kinds of big cats including: snow leopards, leopards,  lions, tigers and even a white tiger. I went on a walking tour and the guide showed us every single cat there, which was over thirty total. When we finally made it to Crater Lake, there was a little bit of snow on the ground in the shady areas. I loved watching the lake at sunset because of all the colors it was reflecting.

What has been your biggest hardship in life?
My biggest hardship was dealing with my brother going off to college. It wasn't that bad, he was only in Santa Barbara but I did miss him when he was gone. I did have fun visiting him and helping him move around his stuff. Now he's back and I'm happy to be with my brother all the time again.

What are you proudest of? Why?
I am proud to be able to drive a stick shift car. I am proud of that because it is a dying art and I'll be able to drive any car I want. Also, if I ever go to Europe, where most cars are manual, I'll be able to drive myself.

How has HS changed you?
High school has enabled me to talk to people better. When I was in elementary and junior high, I barely talked to people and they had to come to me to talk. Now, I'm able to do well in a conversation.

Who has been the most influential person in your life? What did they teach you?
My mom has been the most influential person in my life. She has taught me to not care when people think negatively of me and how to deal with the occasional nasty person who feels like attacking or bullying me.

If you had the chance, what would you do differently in your life?
I would try to talk to people more and make more friends. I realize now that being shy is a hamper on everyday life. You have to talk to people. Also, people are what makes life fun!

What fictional character do you compare yourself with?
I would compare myself with Lena from the Delirium trilogy. We both tend to hide our true thoughts from most people to protect ourselves. And we both would do anything to be with the ones we love and will learn to love fearlessly. We both would be able to accept that life moves on and that we need to move on with it.


What has been your biggest disappointment in life?
My biggest disappointment in life is that I used to be afraid to talk to people. I used to be incredibly self conscious about what I said and inevitably I couldn't think of anything to say in a conversation. So, I used to barely talk to anyone and I usually just sat there watching other people have conversations.

What's your biggest fear?
My biggest fear is becoming bitter and angry in my old age. I hope that I don't become closed minded and cynical when I get old, like some elderly people. I want to be able to be empathetic and compassionate toward other people. I want to keep seeing the world as beautiful, not diseased.

What do you feel the most grateful for in your life?
I am most grateful for my family. They helped me become who I am. Each person taught me that everyone sees the world differently and helped me to see the world through someone else's eyes.

What are you doing after graduation?
I am going to go to Hancock after I graduate. Then, I'll transfer to UCSB after I finish Hancock. I want to be either a computer or software engineer. I am starting Hancock in the summer and I plan on having a crammed schedule all through Hancock.

How would you like to be remembered?
I would like to be remembered as the person who was quiet, yet easy to talk to and understanding. That I never judged someone unfairly or just judged them on how they look.

0 comments: