Anaya Navarro



What is the most embarrassing moment you have had in high school?
It happened two weeks into Freshman year. I was walking down the hall and people were whispering, pointing at me and laughing and giving me bad looks, saying things behind my back on social media and in real life. I didn’t really know who my real friends were at the time, and I didn’t really know who I was or what I was doing. I made a bad decision which had humiliating repercussions that lasted for about a week or so, then people were on to the next thing. It was horrific and I told myself I never wanted to experience something like that again. Nevertheless, I grew from it and moved on. You have to.

What is your most memorable moment, either in or out of HS?
Ahh this is so difficult because I’ve had so many. Probably July 17th, 2012, Frank Ocean’s debut album Channel Orange came out on cd, I saw Frank Ocean perform at The Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles, I visited Fairfax Avenue, meeting Lucas at the Supreme skate shop and Jasper at the Odd Future pop-up for shop for the first time, and saw Drake (yes, that Drake) pull up right in front of me while I was in line for Frank’s concert, all one day. It still stands as the best of day of my life.. so far.

Can you tell me one of your happiest childhood memories?
When my dad would play the song “Angel Baby” by Rosie & The Originals, in his garage - that's when I knew it was my cue to go outside to dance with him. He would pick me up and hold me as we swayed to the song. I knew it meant a lot to him because he would always want one of our family members to go outside but this was a father/daughter thing. Whenever I hear that song, I will always think of my dad and dancing in the garage with him.

What has been your biggest hardship in life?
What’s extremely difficult to me is wanting to say or feel something that I can’t. Whether it’s caused solely by myself or an outside force affecting my thoughts and/or actions. It’s kinda like having to say goodbye when you really don’t want to.. I’m dealing with something like that right now. I’m trying to manage everything so I can have the best feeling from what I am given. I’m licking the bowl of sweet, precious time of what I have left.

What are you proudest of? Why?
My ability and willingness to keep growing. I think the best thing a person can do for themselves is to never lose their curiosity and imagination.

How has HS changed you?
I’ve learned A LOT. What I like, what I don’t like and what I didn’t know I liked. I’ve met people that mean so much to me, I’ve been through a lot of challenges and difficulties, cried plenty of tears and made myself malleable. As I approach the end to high school each day, I learn more and more and observe more. I look at the walls and corners of the school, wondering who's came before me, looked at the same nook of lockers and had the same thoughts as me. I oftentimes peek in  Spanish class I had Freshman year with Mrs. Rauch.. I think about how much has changed in the classroom, and how things continue to change inside and outside of high school. Change is unavoidable. Accepting that change is unavoidable makes things easier to comprehend. High School was merely another street taken in order to get me to my destination. I try to be the best person that I can be as much as possible. I don't see myself ever wanting to stop growing.

 
Who has been the most influential person in your life? What did they teach you?
Tyler, The Creator. He’s opened the doors to practically everything that I’m into today. I found so many artists, ideas, mindsets and perspectives through him and what he creates. I’ve met some great people who all lead back to knowing Tyler. His whole being and movement comes from a genuine place. It has taught me how I can truly create anything I want, there’s no boundaries or parameters to imagination because it can take me anywhere. I’ve been following the ideas behind his creativity and all the details that he’s put into his work since I was 14. I’m so proud to see how much he’s achieved and grown out. I can go on forever about the impact he has on my life from all the colors, the music production, to the film.. it’s everything to me. He’s taught me that you can do it too. A lot of people think the universe doesn’t revolve around them but it does: you create your solar system, then galaxy, and so on; you keep building to get where you want to be. People have been conditioned their whole lives to not make such a ruckus and to stay comfortable in the worn path and hope for the best. They’re afraid of something different because things can go wrong but that’s it, of course things aren’t gonna go smoothly, failing is all relative but success is the best revenge. The world is yours.

If you had the chance, what would you do differently in your life?
I honestly wouldn’t. I’ve been so grateful for everything in my life, the good, the bad, the ugly, it makes me who I am and where I stand today.

What fictional character do you compare yourself with?
Uhh I don’t really read, so I don’t have one. But the other day I was thinking how now I can read this summer and not have to think about a single assignment to do for it. It’s a very liberating thought.

What has been your biggest disappointment in life?
There hasn’t been a person or thing that has caused greater disappointment than what I have made myself feel. But I eventually get over it or move on.

What's your biggest fear? 
Not having enough hours in my day.

What do you feel the most grateful for in your life?
MUSICLOVEPEACE22

What are you doing after graduation?
I’m going to Uganda for sixteen days. It’s gonna be wild!


How would you like to be remembered?
As a person who lived their life the way they wanted to.


Here's the full answer:


I’ve learned A LOT. What I like, what I don’t like and what I didn’t know I liked. I’ve met people that mean so much to me, I’ve been through a lot of challenges and difficulties, cried plenty of tears and made myself malleable.  As I approach the end to high school each day, I learn more and more and observe more. I look at the walls an corners of the school, wondering who's came before me, looked at the same nook of lockers and had the same thoughts as me. I oftentimes peek in  Spanish class I had Freshman year with Mrs. Rauch.. I think about how much has changed in the classroom, and how things continue to change inside and outside of high school. Change is unavoidable. Accepting that change is unavoidable makes things easier to comprehend. High School was merely another street taken in order to get me to my destination. I try to be the best person that I can be as much as possible. I don't see myself ever wanting to stop growing.

0 comments: