Elizabeth Smith



What is the most embarrassing moment you have had in high school?
What is your most memorable moment, either in or out of HS?
Oh my gosh. Okay. Well I have had a crush on THE SAME GUY since forever. We took the same bus in jr high and one time a girl's papers were floating away because it was windy and he helped and I was in love, totally thought he the the most gentlemanly a man could get. Anyway high school happens, I have never said a word to him during the entirety of it. And I also almost asked him to Sadie's twice. Then last weekend FFA and Interact Club both work the Luau for the Rotary Club and he is there. So I give myself a pep talk and say this is my one chance, ONE CHANCE, to make goals happen. He is floating around where I am. My job is I move plates of cake from one table to the next. So I am picking up cakes to move them then he gently taps me on the shoulder and says "Elizabeth, can you put cake in here?" (It was a tray he was carrying to a table to transport cake faster) and all I said was "Yeah." This is most embarrassing and memorable moment.

Can you tell me one of your happiest childhood memories?
My favorite childhood memory is bouncing on the trampoline to bounce off the pool water at my friend's house as our moms talked. My house was approximately 3 houses away from my friend's house, and it was always our mission when my mom came to "pick me up" (walk me back to my house) to get them to talk, then we would have maximum amount of time bouncing on the trampoline and having fun.

What has been your biggest hardship in life?
The biggest hardship is dealing with a dad who doesn't understand all my hard work and makes me feel like (bad word) sometimes. I also having feelings that he doesn't love me because he treats my mom badly too. I feel like he belittles her and me sometimes and the hardest thing is to forgive him everyday and try to get over it. Sometimes I wish my mom would get a divorce so I don't have to deal with the (bad word) he says about me when I can still hear him( and he knows I can).

What are you proudest of? Why?
Proudest moment is making it through water polo and surviving  biology. Water polo is freaking painful and takes so much endurance that when you get home after practice you want to fall over and sleep. I was able to go from never competing in a water sport prior to water polo to playing majority of the game against AG, our biggest rival. Being a player who is in the game playing constantly quarter after quarter makes you want to sink to the bottom of the pool. Every turnover you flip around and swim hard against the girl you are guarding and set up to block or play offense. During the game I had my eye on the prize and was able to block out the "sinking feeling" the whole game. We lost but I was very proud of the effort of the whole team that night. Also while water polo was going on, which included practice before and after school (5:45-6:45 am) and (5:00-7:00 pm) oh and it was so cold when I jumped in at morning and night I wanted to throw up. But anyway, during water polo I held onto my grades and I got an "A" in biology both semesters. I was very proud I conquered both something that took mental strength and physical strength and proved succeeding in both was possible

How has HS changed you?
High school has taught me things about wanting something and being able to attain it. Some of those things are unattainable, for me like relationships or being social. Other things that I have found are attainable for me are good grades, earning my spot into great colleges and being able to appreciate all my blessings. I would say before high school I would be unsure or even dreaming about some of the things I was able to do. So I have gained confidence too.

Who has been the most influential person in your life? What did they teach you?
The most influential person in my life is Maria. She has always been there for me through thick and thin. She inspires me to work hard, to never give up and to keep dreaming and I love that about her. Ever since 6th grade when she picked "the new girl" up as a friend, I have never been able to shake the bond between us. She taught me to have fun. be kind, to not judge, love unconditionally, embrace every moment, and to love myself.        

If you had the chance, what would you do differently in your life?
If I could do something differently, it would be to take more opportunities to be social and go out and have fun more often. I am very proud of where I academically, but not socially. I would love to have taken more chances and seen where I would be now.

What fictional character do you compare yourself with?
If I was a fictional character I would say I was Elizabeth Bennett. She is so smooth and witty and I wish I could be her. I feel like she is 10 times my personality and she is great. She has fun but is super smart and confident and gah, I wish I was her.

What has been your biggest disappointment in life?
My biggest disappointment is not taking chances and missing fun opportunities. I am super shy and I want to be more confident to be able to do the fun things and actually having fun.        

What's your biggest fear?
My biggest fear is grocery shopping by myself in college and also being alone in college. I know I will have my close friends, but I want to make new friends who I can hang out and study with too, but I am afraid I won't because I have never been very confident in myself.

What do you feel the most grateful for in your life?
I am grateful for my mom and brothers and for being able to do well in school and to have been a part of AVID and meet all my amazing friends there (including you).

What are you doing after graduation?
 I am going to Cal Poly SLO for my biology degree. Also during the summer, I will be showing cows at the Santa Barbara County Fair.

How would you like to be remembered?
I would like to be remembered as someone loving, who got love but also gave it. I feel like some people don't have love when they need it most. I like to make people feel special and important because they are. And everyone should have that feeling about them self, and if they don't, I want to make sure they know it.

0 comments: